Baby Shabooblah

Monday, July 16, 2007

Playgroup

Ma and Sha ventured out to the local playgroup today.

It was one of those days where everything I said was blubbering idiot.

Today, I think I probably offended two moms at the group.

The first Mom was chatting about her kids and about her husband (in the present tense) and I said, "oh, what does he do?" trying to be polite and interested. And she said, "he's dead". Shit. What the hell did I ask that for? Being a small community I actually knew that (but apparently memory blocked it). An ass I am. We chatted a lot about how trials in life make you stronger, and that you can always do more than you thought you could and how doing what you think is best for your children is always the right answer. I think a lot of people give advice with good intentions, but really, till you have been there, you just don't know what the right thing is or what you would do.

Of course, I haven't been in her situation, but I hope that our chat brought her some comfort. Even though it didn't get off to the right start.

And the second Mom I saw on my way out the door. She had just made an announcement to the group about a coffee time that she was setting up. She was carrying an infant and she looked fantastic. Makeup, hair, clothes. So I thought she worked there. She stopped to say hi to us and I said "he is so cute, is he your baby?"

Which was LAME. As soon as it came out I just wanted to jut my hand out into the air, collect all the letters and shove them back down my throat.

Apparently, he is her new foster baby and she has 8 children. She came back at me with a "soooooo...is he your only child?". Which was priceless.

I'm sure she is thinking "who the hell are you to ask me questions, when you are just a beginner mother, I'm taking care of 8!!". Much deserved.

Sha was weighed today at 16 lbs 9 oz.

Ta-ta for now. Got nothin' else to say...

1 Comments:

  • At 7:39 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You are soooo friggin' hilarious! Good Lord...your life must be a constant comedy act! LOL! I promise I won't let you venture out to playgroup alone anymore!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home