Baby Shabooblah

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

It got to me

I'm just finishing reading an internet article on the cost of Preemie Care and if the cost is too high and if the risks outweigh the benefits.

The article was published in the US in regards to the high costs to the system and to the parent's wallets.

And it just reminded me of one of the most difficult things that was said to me when Sha was in hospital...

This guy, who I don't really know all that well, after learning of our situation, said "Well, the truth is, you can always have other babies." And the first time I let it go. I tried not to think about how I had spent 7 days in hospital planning our words, if we were writing a birth announcement or an obituary. But the next time I saw him he said again "The truth is, you can always have other babies." And I replied "I don't really want other babies, I just want the one I have been given."

But of course it would be wrong to say...if your wife was critically ill (not that I would wish this on anyone!) "Well, the truth is, there are a lot of single women out there, so you can always get another wife". But I sure wanted to point that out.

I know that sometimes people just don't know what to say. I do know that. But this just got under my skin.

The people who say, I'm sorry your baby was born. Ummm. I'm not. I'm sorry he was born so early, but I'm not sorry he was born.

Anyhoo...enough venting. Like a wise women told me, "It is better to eat dry toast, than to butter your morning bread with poison". Enough said.

I feel better.
Ma

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home