Baby Shabooblah

Monday, September 11, 2006

Fund Raising Ideas

Ma wanted to "sneak" on and post this...but decided to send it to me, as she doesn't want to "step on my toes". Whatever! Anyway, my only comment is that if she wants me to do what she suggests, she better had another 5 years onto her time frame...you'll understand after you read her message!!!

Another day of benefit issues. I was hoping for some clarification from the MPP’s office today. Unfortunately, their office did not seem to understand the issues and has decidedly referred me to get legal aid. Which is pretty darn funny. Cause I’m pretty darn sure we wouldn’t qualify even if we were living in a cardboard box, let alone driving up in an Avalanche. Soooo…I have some more thinking to do about where to go next. I do have a couple of ideas in my back pocket. And a couple more ideas after that.On an inspirational note, I have been engrossed in the novel chronicling John Davidson and Jesse Davidson’s journey across Ontario and the John’s tribute journey across Canada. I found this novel lying around at the Ronald McDonald House. It is very easy for me to identify with this father’s outpouring of love for his son and his plan to make a difference. A great read if you can get your hands on it.Jeremy arrived at the house after work to find me all wound up with ideas. I figure it took John, after months of training, approximately 1 year to walk across Canada to raise funds for genetic research. Jer and I figure it would take approximately 5 years for me to accomplish the same thing. Considering how toned I am….We had a laugh, the kind that makes you feel all childish inside, about different scenarios for my walk. He said Xander and him would “wait for me”. Kinda like people waiting for a loved one to get out of prison. I offered up Auntie as the solution, she has been my driving force as of lately, so maybe she would like to “Carrie” me across Canada. Our slogan could be “A Mother’s Marathon, Piggy Backed Across Canada”. Considering our combined love of athletics, we could just drive across Canada, but we probably wouldn’t raise any money by the time we paid for gas.

Anyhoooo…on a more serious note, does anyone have any ideas, big or small that we could pull together to raise funds for the NICU?

2 Comments:

  • At 6:31 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ma & Auntie...

    First off, I will apologize up front for the length of this posting...

    I have lots of ideas for raising money for both the NICU and the Ronald McDonald house! As I mentioned before in passing...the products that I sell and the company they come from is called Stampin' UP! (Rubber stamping and scrapbooking supplies ... see www.stampinup.com for more info) They have a direct partership with the Ronald McDonald House Charities including an exclusive rubber stamp set. $2 from the sale of every stamp set goes to RMHC along with a corporate donation of $100,000 annually. We could set up a fundraiser and incorporate both the NICU and the RMHC. I think maybe we could do an event where everyone purchases the RMHC stamp set and will have the supplies to make hand made items such as greeting cards, scrapbook pages, and other hand crafted items. (The possibilities are endless!)Another idea would be to make greeting cards for themselves, but donate 1-2 cards back to the RMHC for the people staying there that don't have time to shop for cards!! The event cost will cover the cost of the stamp set and the supplies. Money raised for the NICU would come from silent auctions, 50/50 draws, personal donations, etc.

    These are just a couple ideas...Stampin' UP! demonstrators have an entire website dedicated to fundraising ideas! There are a lot of different ideas and possibilities. They share successes and failures (so nobody else makes the same mistakes!!)

    Call me (or stop by)or send me an email address where I can reach you so we can figure something out (my email is jdewaele@golden.net)! You have the option of helping out the entire way, or just standing back and letting me take care of everything!

    Again, sorry for the long post! (I have to admit that I got a little excited when I read you are looking for fundraising ideas!!)

    More importantly...I am glad to hear Sha's little lungs are clear now! He is such a strong little boy and we are all very proud of his progress!

     
  • At 9:16 a.m., Blogger Christy said…

    I just wanted to tell you that I think you are a very strong person and you have a great sense of humour. You guys are in my prayers and I wish Sha a healthy journey ahead.

    All the best and keep on truckin'!!

    Christina

     

Post a Comment

<< Home