Baby Shabooblah

Sunday, September 17, 2006

All you can do is laugh

Funny story for today.

I have decided to try to make up with my pump. After some deep thought last night, I finally have decided to try a drug called Domperidone to try to increase my milk supply. My milk has been slowly dwindling, despite my grand efforts to increase supply.

I have googled: lacatation, breastfeeding, LLL and just about everything else you can think of to get information.

I have tried to date: warm compresses, pumping marathons, more sleep, less sleep, cabbage in my bra, beer, water and even a funny trick with a hairbrush. But to no avail. I have been on the downward supply route for the last few weeks and I know that by the end of next week, the well will have run dry. I am getting about 10 ml/pump. So I finally gave in to the Domperidone.

I have an appointment with my family doctor for Friday, but I was concerned that by that time, I wouldn't have any supply left at all. I know I probably won't ever have enough for him, but I am hoping that I can continue to suppliment his feeds.

Sooo...after his successful bottle this morning, I took my information pamphlet and I decided to go down to Urgent Care for a prescription, to get me through to my upcoming family doctor's appointment. After 3 hours of wait time, I was told that they really prefer more Urgent cases. Ok. Now that is funny! Because if I had an urgent case, I think I might try a home remedy before waiting 3 hours for urgent help. Ugh. But after some debate, I did get the script.

But I didn't read it.

Sooo...I took it to the pharmacy, and now I have missed a couple of pumping times, to get filled. The pharmacist handed it to me and asked what I was using it for. He said with the dose I was prescribed, it probably won't help.

Sometimes, I feel like I am in an Ultimate Fighting Championship with an Alligator who just won't tap out.

2 Comments:

  • At 6:38 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ma,
    Sorry to hear about your problems. Friday is awfully far away. Good luck with this. Hope you can feed the boy.

    Tonya (and J and F)

     
  • At 10:11 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Ma,

    I must say, despite everything you guys have been through these past few months, you haven't lost your sense of humour. Like the neighbours said, you always make me laugh. Sorry to hear that you were upchucking on yourself, as well as your battles with the breast pump. I am thrilled to read how well Sha is doing. What a little cutie! He is really putting on the weight which is excellent. As for the sleeping, he takes after his ma, and what she used to be like when she was little. I remember sleeping over, and having to lay in a sleeping bag for hours waiting for you to wake up! Anyway, you guys keep doing what you're doing. You are doing awesome, despite what seem like many obstacles that continuously try to get you down. Please take care of yourself, and give me a call sometime when you get a chance.

    Lots of love,
    Kris

     

Post a Comment

<< Home