Baby Shabooblah

Tuesday, July 04, 2006

A Letter to My Nephew

As I was lying in bed last night, I realized that all of my posts are technical and that I haven't really taken the opportunity to write specifically to Sha. I have decided that it's about time that I do this. So, everyone please bear with me...you can always stop reading!

To My Dearest, Most Precious Nephew, Sha:

Welcome to the world, Buddy! There are so many things that I need to say to you. First of all, I have to admit that when I found out about your existence, I had mixed feelings. On one hand, the joy that I felt cannot be explained in words. There is only one thing greater than being a mother...and that's being an auntie. As I am technically an only child, your mother is the only "sister" that I've got. We've known eachother for most of our lives; we've been there for eachother through the good times and the not so good times. Other than your Lord Uncle B, she is definitely one of the most important non-blood related people in my life. And even when you factor in the blood relatives, she still ranks pretty high on the list of important people in my life. She is the person I turn to in my life when I need advice, when I need to laugh, when I need to cry and when I just need to be myself. She is my rock. And for this reason, when I found out about you, I was also afraid. I'm not a person who adapts well to change...to which your mother can attest. I knew that my life was about to change forever...and I didn't know what to think or what to expect.

Through you mom's pregnancy, things were tough. She never felt good and was never truly herself. (And she'll probably bring this up in the future when you're giving her a hard time, which will likely be often, based on your behaviour so far!) But, then you arrived...3.5 months early and tiny as can be. We all quickly came to the realization that you were worth every minute of the not-so-fun pregnancy! Even now, when you're just over 2 weeks old, it's hard to imagine that someone so tiny could steal my heart so quickly.

Tonight, you are being blessed, surrounded by people that love you. And even though I'm not there, never think for one minute that I'm not totally in love with you! Technically, you are being blessed tonight...but I think you're blessed already. In the future, if you ever feel that no one loves you, look back at all of the love and support in this blog (and in your baby book). You are truly blessed, as one of the most loved little boys in the whole wide world. And your Lord Uncle B and I are leading the pack.

Always remember that no matter what you need, your Lord Uncle B and I are there for you...whether you need someone to run interference with your parents or someone to tell secrets to...or just to have some fun...we're here. We will always love you like you are ours...because in a way, you are.

But besides being blessed, you are a true blessing to every life that you have touched and will touch. When I saw you for the first time, a couple of hours after you came into this world, I stared at you, as you lay there in all of your glory. You were spread eagle, for all the world to see (should have got some embarassing pics of that for later!), as if to say, "Yeah, this is the way I am, like it or leave it." Even then, I could tell that you were you're mama's boy. You lay there, with a machine doing your breathing for you, preparing to fight for your life. And I knew then and there, that you were going to be just fine and you were going to be a handful someday!

A couple of days after you were born, your mother and I came to see you in the NICU for the first time together. We gazed at your tiny little form, splayed out in the incubator, with our arms wrapped around eachother, crying. (I'm sure all of our co-workers thought we were nuts!!!) We were and still are in awe of your perfection, your spirit, your stubborness and your will to live. You are an inspiration to us all.

By now, you've probably figured out that I can talk just as much as your mother...and you'd be right! It's not something that I'm ashamed of, but I'm sure that it drives your Lord Uncle B nuts sometimes!!! So, I'll finish with this...

I love you, Little One. I thank God everyday for the gift your life has given me. You have opened my eyes to so much in the short time you've been with us. I look forward to the many more lessons that I'm sure you'll teach me...just don't rub it in when you're older!

Love always and forever,
Auntie Carrie and Lord Uncle B

3 Comments:

  • At 7:25 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi there,
    I had the pleasure of visiting your blog for a couple of minutes. Your little miracle baby is adorable...I hope I'm not intruding, I know this is a private blog. I just wanted to offer a few words of encouragement. My little girl was born almost 3 years ago at 24.5 weeks weighing in at 1 lb 9 oz. She is perfectly healthy now. I wish you and your family the best. This is my blog address http://irinasdiary.blogspot.com. Feel free to visit and see how a miracle former micropreemie looks like now at almost 3.
    Irina

     
  • At 9:25 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Auntie Carrie, I just had the pleasure of reading your letter to Sha, and I'm sitting here crying, because I know exactly how you feel. It is amazing that this little guy could touch all of us, and he doesn't even realize it yet. People are reading the blog who don't even know Ma, Pa and Sha. He is truly bringing everyone together. What an amazing little guy! He is truly a special boy. Ma and Pa, you guys have created the most precious, special little guy out there. Sweet dreams tonight, little Sha, you now are truly blessed, as are we.

    Love Kris

     
  • At 5:46 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It is with great pleasure that I get to be considered "Auntie Kris" to this little miracle. Keep plugging away little buddy! I can't wait to see you again. Ma, keep taking care of yourself, and Pa, you are doing a great job caring for your family. Take care guys!

    Auntie Kris

     

Post a Comment

<< Home