Baby Shabooblah

Friday, May 18, 2007

Appointment Update

Sha has been a busy man since our return home from Florida!

He had an eye examination with the opthamologist and has been given happy news! His eyes are working very well and the results from his ROP surgery are great. He does not require glasses (for now) and he can see all of the world around him. Yippee!

Sha also had an appointment with his therapist this week and had a nice visit. He was quick to show her all of the new skills he is learning. Rolling and even attempting to sit in an upright position. (maximum 45 seconds unassisted!) He has mastered the art of feeding himself (not a surprise because he loves food!) with the help of sippy cup handles on his bottles. He is gaining more and more strength in his upper body. He does not like to tolerate any position in which he is off balance. Leaning to the side while sitting up...etc. More time and practice with Ma!

I also received copies of Ambiguous Loss articles from Sha's therapist. I am reviewing them for our upcoming-weekly parent/group meetings with CPRI. Brain candy! (I am such a nerd. :-)

Interesting stuff.

"I recall when our preacher's wife had their baby...and I went to see her. I told her I was there for her. I also told her that I could not imagine what she was going through and did not want to imagine. Eleven days later, I was in her shoes. She walked into my room right after our delivery and we locked eyes and just stared and then cried. I looked at her and said, "Now I know". It is something that no one can understand and say they understand unless they have walked the path and ridden that ride of the NICU".

That happened to me.

A highschool friend of mine, we'll call her Wendy, showed up at the hospital a week before Sha was born. I was getting off the elevator and she was there when the doors opened. She was wearing (over her clothes) a red blanket (forever burned into my brain, that red blanket) and her water had just broken prematurely at work. She was 5 weeks early and it was very unexpected. I hadn't seen her in a long time but we are the type of friends (Wendy and I) who can pick up the phone and start up again like we never missed a beat.

I helped her to triage (called in the troops...Auntie...because of course, she knows her too!)and stayed with her until her family could arrive. Surreal. I couldn't even imagine how afraid she must have felt. I reassured her. I told her how amazing the staff was and how amazing the hospital was and how they would do everything they could to help her and the baby and how, if it was happening to me, I wouldn't want to be at any other hospital.

A week later I was calling Auntie's office to let her know I was admitted. She said, "which room?" and I said "Wendy's room".

After Sha's eye appointment, Wendy and I had a playdate with our babies. When she found out that Sha's eyes were in great shape, she cried. Because she knew.

Life has a way of going around and coming around.

I'm thinking about penning an article entitled, "Ambiguous Maternity Leave - The crazy loss of time". Ha! It is interesting to compare our schedule with that of a full term infant. Appointments, appointments, appointments. Where do the days go? Upcoming, we have two CPRI groups to attend, physiotherapy, meet and greet with a speech pathologist, developmental follow-up clinic and a hearing exam. I know it would be easier to move closer to London because the commute to appointments means an entire day is taken up. Ma and Pa are considering a few options but have not found time to go to the bank. (Irony or no?)

Is it June yet?

Ugh. The dreaded hearing exam. Gugh. I'm hoping for the best on this one. But it is the one thing with Sha that I worry about most. To me, it seems as though everything else will catch-up with some extra time. But can he hear?!? I have no idea. One day I think he can hear everything and the next minute, nothing. I wish I could just ask him. Are you ignoring me/us? or can you not hear us?

I wonder if Sha's motor development would increase quicker if he wasn't strapped in a car seat going to appointments all the time? Tee hee.

Almost time to start planning a BIRTHDAY PARTY! I am so excited. One year marks a very important milestone. It is a time for a new beginning and a chance to embrace all of the past and put it to rest. A moving on, of sorts, and a celebration! More details to follow!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home